Once I was a Bird...

Once I was a bird, free like a small piece of cloud, flying high above the sky, dancing with the starts. The sun was my home and the lake was the mirror I used to look in and see my reflection early in the morning. I was washing my face with the warm raindrops melting on the leaves. 
What happened one day was the disaster that all the birds are scared of. I was put in a cage, away from the life I had, lost without my freedom, afraid of the darkness around. I lost the bright sunshine and the midnight moon.What could I do? I was just a little bird, lost and afraid, until one morning I woke up and the reality shocked me.
The one who has put me in that cage was nobody else but myself... The question "What could I do?" was changed into "What should I do"? I knew I should wake up, I had to wake up from the dream I had put me into. I realized that I'm the only one who can give me back my freedom... And I did. I got what I wanted or what I thought I wanted to have. I still don't know.
"Once I was a bird, it was a long time ago..." she started her story again, softly smiling.
...Sometimes we put ourselves into the cages where we want to be. The idea of not belonging there slowly vanishes away and one day while telling your story you just realize that things are more complicated then you thought they were, you realize that you never understood yourself and your decisions, but you still smile softly and just go on... Once...
                                                                                                                             © LiLit Ghazaryan